Thermomix – traditional Melktert Recipe:
Melktert is a truly South African dessert- a sweet pastry filled with a creamy custard-like filling smothered with cinnamon.
2tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius Grease 2 x 22cm pie dishes
- Place butter and sugar into the mixer and blend.
- Add remaining crust ingredients and blend.
- Press into 2 greased pie dishes, prick lightly with a fork and bake for 12 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. While the pastry is cooking prepare the filling.
1120 g of milk
2 tbsp cornflower
10 g butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Cinnamon for dusting
- Place all ingredients except the butter and vanilla into the mixer and blend.
- Cook the filling for 15 minutes in the thermomix. (if you do not have the thermomix, cook it in a pan on the stove)
- Add butter and vanilla carefully, and stir/blend in thermomix
- Pour into prepared crusts and cool
- Immediately sprinkle liberally with Cinnamon. This will give it a lovely taste and prevent a skin from forming on the custard.
- Refrigerate overnight